We Are Moving!

We are Moving!

Please take a moment and change your bookmarks for us. We have moved to a new, and better, site.

http://yougottaread.com/

We Look Forward to seeing you there.

There will no longer be posts on this site after January 31, 2012

Thank you and we cannot wait to see you at our new home

You Gotta Read Reviews Admin Team

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Welcome Lisa G. Riley

Lisa G. Riley

Where do you hail from and what do you love most about your hometown?
I’m from Chicago, and there are so many things to love about the city that this is a hard question to answer. I’ll start with the beautiful lakefront, the Newberry Library, the museums and Millennium Park. Of course, Chicagoans can be quirky and have their own way of looking at things that the rest of the world would find peculiar. I kinda like that. A lot.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? How has that childhood dream affected your career?
Right after I learned to read I remember excitedly telling my mother that I wanted to be a reader when I grew up. My second choice was ‘a woman.’ I was sooo very literal. It wasn’t until I was about 12 that I decided on writer/journalist. I still get such joy out of reading that I’d say the dream has affected my career in innumerable ways, chief among them is the desire to share the joy of a good story, which I always aim to write.

Tell us about your latest book. Do you have anything new in the works and can you tell us a bit about it?
My latest book is called “Dashing through the Snow,” and it’s due out January 23rd. For lack of a better term, this is my first truly who-dunnit. It’s also my first novel where the romance isn’t the main story. The book is about Lily and Smith, childhood friends who are now both private detectives – Lily a brand-spanking new one, and Smith, the more experienced one. As the only female born into her family in more than 30 years, Lily has been overprotected and treated like a delicate piece of china by everyone in the family for most of her life. It is because of this that everyone is shocked when she announces that she’s gotten her private eye license.

Everyone but Smith that is. He’s known the hellcat since “he was two and she was new” and delicate flower, she ain’t. He also knows her better than anyone and knows that the family’s attitude has always bothered her. However, as he’s been subjected to the same “propaganda” about Lily almost his entire life, he sometimes forgets that it isn’t true. That becomes easier not to do as he watches her try to solve the case of the missing millionaire – a case that they’ve each been hired separately to solve. Winner takes home a huge bonus. Deciding it’s best to work together and split the bonus, they follow the case as it takes them from their small hometown of Sheffield-Chatham to Chicago and back again as the millionaire’s trail leads them from the rarified homes of the wealthy to the fancy rooms of secret men’s clubs to the hushed halls of museums and finally to some of the less seemly parts of town. And in the process of all of this, rekindle a failed romance from several years before.

I’m holding a contest for this novel with my good friend and writing partner, Roslyn Hardy Holcomb. Ros also has a book releasing on the 23rd. It’s called Dark Star. Our contest, Dark and Dashing, will award two random winners who answer questions correctly, a Kindle Touch each and copies of each of the two historical paranormal romances Roslyn and I wrote together. Details of the contest will be put on our respective blogs and FB pages on the 23rd.

As for what I have in the works, I have several things, actually, but what I’ll put out next will be a short story that catches up with characters from a novella I wrote years ago called “Caught” for the Big Spankable Asses anthology.

Is there anything you find particularly challenging about writing?
The most challenging thing for me is usually finding the discipline to sit down for hours and just write. I’ve got the characters, the plot and everything else -- it’s that discipline angle that always gets me.

What advice would you give to writers just starting out?
I don’t imagine I have anything new to offer. The best advice I can give a writer just starting out is to keep writing and never throw any of your writing away. What seems horrible in the moment, might actually be redeemable when looked at later – sometimes much, much later, but still…

How did you deal with rejection letters?
Like any neurotic artist: with full-out, unwarranted, over-the-top angst! Actually, though, I’ve been fortunate not to have gotten very many.

Don't forget to give us links to your website etc.
http://lisagriley.wordpress.com/
http://www.lisagriley.com/

Thanks so much for having my on your blog!

No comments: